Afghanistan 1969-1974Copyright © Dr. Volker Thewalt 1969 / 2002
Photo : Thewalt 1969
[ Vgl. Francine Tissot 2006, Catalogue of the National Museum of Afghanistan 1931-1985,
UNESCO publishing 2006, Paris, p. 52:
K.p.SK. St. 101.2. K.M. inv. no. 65-13-88; H 1.33. Limestone. MDAFA, XXV, pl. 60, no. 185; pl. 61, nos 186-89; DUP, 66, fig. 8.
Statue of a Kushan king (Kanishka?). The statue is broken at the waist and fixed into a plinth.
Surkh Kotal (Bactria)
In the 1950s French archaeologists excavated the ruins of a very large complex of buildings identified as a temple in the Iranian tradition; it stood on a high fortified hill, dominating the surrounding area. A certain number of questions still remain unanswered. The discovery of inscriptions with the names of Kushana leaders give a clue to the dating of the site to around the second century AD.
The most important discoveries, such as three stone statues of 'kings', many stone capitals and a large number of broken items, were kept (with some exceptions) in situ. DAFA, under its then director Daniel Schlumberger, and later his collaegues, worked hard and wrote many articles on the site.
Before DAFA was closed in 1982, all the pieces were brought to the Kabul Museum, where they were restored and catalogued by Anwar Katawazi and Olivier Guillaume. The publication by Gerard Fussman and Olivier Guillaume (MDAFA, XXXII) was also the result of these efforts.