Kabul Museum 1969Copyright (c) Dr. Volker Thewalt
1969 / 22.02.2001 [akt. 23.10.2010]
Photo : Thewalt 1969 (p9_69_03)
[ Vgl. Francine Tissot 2006, Catalogue of the National Museum of Afghanistan 1931-1985,
UNESCO publishing 2006, Paris, p. 330:
K.p. Pa. 869.2. K.M. inv. no. 61-7-12. H 0.25. Schist; MIZ, fig. 94; ROW, 66, fig. 48; ROW, 71, fig. 108; Cambon, fig. 2.
Relief depicting a Bodhisattva standing in the centre, flanked by donors bearing palms.
Paitava (Parvan province)
According to the seventh-century Chinese pilgrim Xuan Zang, the monastery of Paitava (situated 7 km from Begram) depended on a large city named Si-pi-to-la-fasse. At that time, it was the most important city in the Kapisa region. The site was first discovered by Jouveau-Dubreuil, then excavated by Joseph Hackin and finally by Jules Barthoux in 1924-25. Most of the pieces were too fragile to be recovered. French archaeologists of DAFA took a number of schist sculptures to the Kabul Museum.